Turmeric is antibiotic that has been used for thousands of years in the Indian ayurvedic tradition. It contains compounds knows as curcuminoids, the most important of which is curcumin. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric and unfortunately it is not fully absorbed by the body, but it is fat soluble and therefore it’s better when taken with a fatty meal. So drinking turmeric along with a glass of milk is way better absorbed my our bodies than when added to curries.
Also known as 'golden milk' this warming drink is a great immunity booster for the body.
- 600 ml milk of choice (dairy/oat/soy etc.)
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp honey / maple syrup/ coconut sugar
- 7 to 8 cardamom pods
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom and using a pestle and motor crush the seeds into a fine powder.
- On a medium saucepan add the milk, turmeric, honey/ maple syrup and cardamom powder. Using a wire whisk gently whisk the milk, until it starts forming a foam and everything is mixed well. Do not let it boil. Let it heat up well for two to three mins.
- If using a electric milk frother, add about 100 ml of the milk in the mug and whisk it until it forms a nice froth. Gently add the rest of the milk into the mugs.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
A big thanks to Shilpa for this delicious recipe and you can see more of her beautiful recipes here.
At Nunaïa (pronounced [noo-nigh-yah], we bring more connection into women's lives through our daily beauty wellness rituals. Our Nunaïa wellness series aims brings you tips and tools from wellness teachers and experts around the world to help you find more connection in your day. For more information visit our website here.